Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Victoria, BC - January 16, 2007, Royal Theatre


Rankin Family Live in Victoria
- By Colin Newell - CoffeeCrew Blog

A Short Concert Review

Ok. I love the Rankin Family. From the moment I saw them on stage in Victoria in the mid-nineties, I knew that the Rankin Family were the real deal.

I bought all the albums. Still play them.

It was with much rejoicing that I had the chance to see them on the first leg of their reunion tour.
Apparently I was not the first in line to buy tickets. I think I waited a week. As a result, our seats were up in the ceiling somewhere. No problem. The Royal Theatre in Victoria is designed in such a way that there are no bad seats. It is true. There are none.

This concert was to be stop 3 for the Rankins – Nanaimo was the first. I think they had two gigs up there. Because of the loss of a sister in Calgary, they attended the funeral and cancelled the first 2 of the concert dates. Victoria B.C. was stop one for the Rankin’s 22-city tour.

Tragedy struck their family a week ago when one of the Rankins died in Calgary. The Rankins are a large family – Raylene, John Morris, Jimmy, Cookie and Heather, began touring together professionally in 1989. But they are 4 of 12 kids. On September 17, 1999, the band officially broke up to pursue their separate careers and lives. One of the anchors of the band, John Morris Rankin, died in a car accident on January 16, 2000.

Anyway – back to the show. With our luck (of 1500 seats in the Royal Theatre) we were seated directly in front of a row of young, ex-Pat Cape Breton trailer trash – they were pumped, half-drunk and ready to party. Now, do not get me wrong. I like to party. Really. At concerts, I get crazy.
But correct me if I am wrong, but I think you have to sing and scream when the band is actually playing. I did turn around and glare a couple of times at Trailer Park Boy behind me after he yelled: “I lav youa Jammmy!” one too many times. These are the worse kinds of concert goers.

Anyway. The Rankins kicked ass. After a slow start (they seemed road weary or grief weary and this was stop #1!) they wound the audience and themselves into a Celtic-Breton frenzy.

They played the new stuff. They played the old stuff. They trotted out some new Rankin talent; John Morris Rankins surviving teenage daughter – a crack step dance and fiddle player. She sang once. It was rough, but the Rankin magic is in her voice and blood. Ah. Just like old times.

Welcome back Rankins!

No comments: